Key Lesson Selecting Your Platforms

With the sheer number of platforms used to create and share stories, many social impact organizations struggle to understand which ones will most effectively engage their target audiences. In this section, we’ll discuss choosing the right platforms for both your stories and your audiences.

1. For this particular storytelling campaign, what objective are you looking to achieve?

Select all that apply

Some storytelling platforms are more popular among certain communities of people. By describing the audiences for this story we can provide you with recommendations on which platform will be more likely to help you reach them.

2. How old are your audience members?

Select all that apply

3. Where do they (mostly) live?

Select all that apply

4. Are you trying to reach new audiences or talk to your existing audiences?

Select one

5. Will you be using video to tell your story?

Select one

7. Will you be using copy to tell your story?

Select one

Recommended Platforms

Here are some suggested guides for platforms that can help you meet your organization’s storytelling goals. Select a guide to learn more about the platform's strengths and weaknesses as a promotional tool, the audiences it reaches and how you can use it to effectively build a community with your stories.

See all Guidebooks

All done!

You’ve got a plan for speaking with your audiences

Create a profile now to save your answers and start accessing custom recommendations.

Sign Up to Save Your Work

Don't stop now.

Answer all the questions to get customized recommendations on selecting and using the right platforms for your stories.

Return to top

Nice Job!

You've successfully selected the right platforms for your stories and audiences.

Next up: Evaluation

Further reading, based on your answers.

The 40/60 Content Rule: Less Time Writing, More Time Sharing 40% of your time should be spent creating content, while the remaining 60% should be spent promoting content.
  • 6 Saved

Small Garth Moore

Best of Storytelling 2016 2016 didn’t just bring a rollercoaster of emotional events—it brought a series of stories that tugged at different heartstrings.

Small Eliana Reyes

Greenpeace Mobilisation Lab's Campaign to Free the Arctic 30 Infusing storytelling into advocacy campaigns.
  • 4 Saved

Small Mob Lab Team

Use Stories to Build Communities That Can Be Harnessed to Act Technology provides platforms and tools but now, more than ever, social movements—online and offline—are built on the essence of our humanity.
  • 1 Comment
  • 1 Saved

Small Maria Ressa

Use Tumblr to Collect and Spread Stories Planned Parenthood utilized Tumblr's Submit feature to collect stories and start conversations about sexual and reproductive health.

Hatch The Storytelling for Good Team

A Guide to Measuring Impact With Third Party Tools
  • 1 Comment
  • 2 Saved

Hatch The Storytelling for Good Team

A Guide to Medium
  • 6 Saved

Hatch The Storytelling for Good Team

UNICEF Uses Google+ to Share Stories From the Field UNICEF virtually convened activists, bloggers and students to share stories about issues affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo.
  • 1 Saved

Small RJ Bee

Repurposing Content: What’s Old is New Again Get extra mileage from your best stories.
  • 6 Saved

Small Jereme Bivins